By Grace Bellinger, NPHR Blog Editor
- The World Health Organization announced an outbreak of Nipah virus in India, with 17 people having died from the disease recently.
- Large international study shows that up to 70% of women with early-stage breast cancer may not need chemotherapy.
- The CDC released a report showing that suicide rates have increased in all but one state since 1999, and over half of U.S. states showed an increase of over 30% in that time.
- The CDC and FDA announced that the salmonella outbreak that sickened 60 people has been linked to pre-cut melons from Indianapolis.
- Northwestern Medicine study finds that laws that ban smoking in workplaces and other public places are associated with a significantly lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Northwestern scientists found a potential role of mitochondrial dysfunction in kidney disease.